- Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments â- Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Crane flies?

After reading the story about mosquitoes in today's paper, I ran across the word crane fly. I'm familiar with them because they are the long-legged creatures that resemble overgrown mosquitoes and attempt to make their way inside my home every time I open the door. What I didn't know is that's what they are called.
When my kids -- who thought they were mosquitoes -- asked what they were I told them gallinippers. "Galla what?" That's the response I got from them. I know, it sounds funny but when I was growing up in Minden, that's what we called them. And until recently, that's the only thing I ever called them. But from now on I'll call them crane flies. That sounds better.
Does anybody have any other names for these pesky critters?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home