- Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments â- Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Monday, March 19, 2007

No 'visitors' at this church

My sister-in-law Deedee Palmer mentioned a few weeks ago that we were going to her grandmother’s church in Athens. I was all for it because right now I don’t have a permanent church home and I’ve been going to different churches in Shreveport. They’ve all been great but I don’t know that I’ve found the one where I will go every Sunday. I’m still looking.
So we went to St. Matthew Baptist Church on Sunday. It took us about 30 minutes to get there from Minden but I’m not sure if we were in Athens or Gibsland because the address on the church program was Athens and the P.O. Box was Gibsland. And I saw a Bienville Parish sign. Isn't Athens in Claiborne Parish? All I know is we were in the woods and we didn’t get lost.
I’m always a little nervous when I go to a different church because I don’t like it when “visitors” are asked to stand and say something.
When I go to a new church, I don’t feel like I’m “visiting” that church. I’ve always thought of it as just “going” to church. It was a pleasant surprise when newcomers to the church weren’t asked to stand up. However, we were acknowledged and if we had wanted to say something, I’m almost certain we could have.
Thanks to the Rev. Johnnie Dyes and congregation, my time at St. Matthew was memorable and the service was great.
I definitely will go back to St. Matthew but I also will continue looking for a church home in Shreveport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home