- Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments â- Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Monday, September 17, 2007

Mail for Anthony


I wrote a column back in July about an organization that was collecting items to send to soldiers in Iraq. In that article, I mentioned a young man, Anthony Nishimura, who, I was told, was not receiving any mail. I received an e-mail in August from Jim Kasarda wanting to set the record straight concerning this young soldier.
Here’s what he had to say:
My name is Jim Kasarda. This note is in regards to your article of July 4, 2007.
I wanted to let you know that Tony is not without a loving family. Tony is home right now on a two week leave from Iraq. He goes back on Sunday. His mom and I found a laminated copy of the story on the kitchen table the other day. She cried when she read it. Apparently we haven't written to Tony often enough. We have written several e-mails to Tony, and talk to him on the phone as often as he can call. We have also sent him care packages from home. I also know that our local grade school sent him letters as part of class project. I just want to clear the record that Tony DOES get mail, and I certainly don't want to stop Mrs. Hancock from corresponding with Tony. We will certainly step up our frequency of mail to Tony too!
We've had a great visit with Tony. Lots of friends and family have been to our house, and Tony has made several visits to friends and family also. I don't want people to think that Tony doesn't have a family, or one that cares. He absolutely does.
As I said, he returns to Iraq on Sunday, the 19th, and there will be a big (he has six siblings and a girlfriend) family crying, hoping, and praying for his safe return.
Thank you,
Jim


Thank you Mr. Kasarda. It's good to hear that this soldier does, indeed, have family that corresponds with him. And it's important that his family realizes they should write more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home