- Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments â- Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Friday, June 22, 2007

Puppies in training

Obedience training went well this week. We reviewed things we had learned earlier and discussed new concerns and old problems.
As usual, my puppy Tank has a problem. Or rather, I have a problem. Tank is perfectly content with the way he behaves.
Anyway, when I put Tank out in the backyard and he doesn’t want to be there, he jumps on the window and scratches the screen. I yell at him to stop and he just stares at me.
So, I asked our trainer what I needed to do. She suggested putting something on the window that would fall and make a loud noise when he jumps on it. That way, she says, he’s correcting himself.
Unfortunately, the window ledge is not wide enough to put anything on it. So, I came up with an idea. Let me know if it’s too extreme.
I filled a spray bottle with water and opened the window. And I waited. Shortly afer being outside, Tank decided it was time to attack the window. As soon as I heard him on it, I grabbed the spray bottle and squirted him with the water. Guess what? It worked. But that didn’t stop him from jumping on the window later. But this time, he jumped down when he saw me coming with the bottle. Hopefully this tactic will work.
Anyway, I promised I would introduce you to Tank’s classmates and I attempted to get pictures of them but the photo was one big blur because they were moving so much. I’ll try again next week.
The class includes: John Settle and his basset hound Sadie; Jamie Parker and her Boston terrier Frankie; Deborah Haynie and her mixed breed Daisy; Max Hutto and his German shepherd Bindi; and Rita Wynn and her Yorkshire terrier Luci. And then there’s trainer Beth Scorzelli and her Shih Tzu Icy.
Next week is our last class so look for updates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home