- Shreveporttimes.com - Weather - Calendar - Jobs - Cars - Real Estate - Apartments â- Shopping - Classifieds - Dating

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Let the training begin

OK. As promised, here is my first update on obedience training with my puppy Tank. The first class was last night and I was more nervous than Tank. First, I didn’t know whether to take the long leash or the short one so I took both. And I just knew Tank was going to "go" on the floor once we got there so I took lots of paper towels.
Usually Tank rides in his crate but recently he has been getting car sick so I left the crate home, covered the back seats of the car and put him back there. Big mistake. He wanted to ride up front with me and my son Aaron. By the time we got to class, Aaron’s arm was covered in scratches and bite marks. This definitely was a problem that had to be fixed.
Tank doesn’t like to be on a leash but he did very well walking across the street — without any pulling or prodding from us — to the class. However, a puppy named Daisy wasn’t about to do that and her owner had to pick her up and carry her across the street. And Daisy isn’t a small dog.
Anyway, during the class we practiced sit, down, stay and come when called. Tank did everything he was told, although I think it was because of the treats I had in my hand. After class, the trainer worked with Tank on his biting. I told her he probably wouldn’t try to bite her because he is shy with strangers. She had been playing with Tank for just a few seconds when he started trying to bite. She told him to stop and when he didn’t, she grabbed his collar and held on tight. Tank was at her mercy. So what did he do? He starts hollering as if she is trying to kill him. She still held on. Finally Tank settled down and she let go. He tucked what little bit of tail he has and trotted off. She called him back to give him a treat. And even though Tank usually is playing when he is biting, the trainer said never let a puppy do something that you don’t want him to do when he gets bigger.
"You don’t want a 90-pound dog biting on you," she said.
By the way, Tank didn’t "go" on the floor but another puppy did. Now I won’t feel so bad when he does.
Remember, send me any training tips or let me know about your own dog training issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home